Still, there are a lot of makeup lovers who thinks removing our makeup isn't the fun part of our skincare routine. But it is the absolute essential. When you tired you probably relay on makeup wipes or micellar water on the cotton pad. And if you are really into skincare you might go for a cleansing balm or oil cleanser before going in with the water cleanser which is how it should be.
Makeup wipes are not only bad for your skin but the environment, and are not manufactured to act as a skin cleanser. Here's five reasons to stop using makeup wipes;
1. Makeup wipes are full of harsh and harmful chemicals that disrupt the pH balance of your skin and its acid mantle. The acid mantle is a protective layer of your skin that keeps out the dirt and impurities, and seals in the moisture and natural oils. The layer is extremely important for the health of your skin, and is removed when you use the wipes. Not only that, it also strips the skin off its natural oils.
2. Makeup and baby wipes are not manufactured to be used for cleansing the skin, they’re designed to break down makeup particles. So if you’re wiping your face with a makeup wipe, the chances are that a considerable amount of residue from makeup and pollutants will still remain in your pores and clog them.
3. If you use makeup wipes and an exfoliate, it is like completely removing the protective layer of your skin.
4. You don’t want the harsh chemicals on your skin, especially if it is on the sensitive side. Makeup wipes leave behind a skin that is more prone to irritation and breaking out. Moreover, it is not fit to be used as a remover of eyeliner, kohl, and mascara since the eye tissue is very sensitive.
5. It is absolutely terrible for the environment! The global climate crisis is at a point where we’re way past the stage of recycling everything, and have reached where we should all be trying to reduce our waste as much as possible. Unfortunately, single-use products cause much more harm than we can imagine. It can take at least one hundred years for a single makeup wipe to decompose. Imagine using one everyday, and adding to the pile of waste that we already produce countless tonnes of.
So what you should use instead?
2. Double cleanse
Double cleansing is a more effective way of removing makeup, in which you first cleanse your face with an oil based cleanser, and then with a regular cleanser. It weeds out all the makeup particles from your face and then cleans out the dirt and impurities from your pores, without disturbing the pH balance of your skin.